The iPad has been shoved down our throats as an excellent way to read books and for the most part I agree. One of the things I don’t agree with however is having to purchase all of my books through Apple’s iBookStore. I have a large library of DRM free ePub books and many more are available on the web free and legally if you know where to look. If you too have a large library of ePub formatted eBooks you would like to get onto your iPad, read on!
Here’s how to download a DRM free ePub formatted ebook and get it onto your iPad for reading through iBooks.
1. Download the ePub title and save it on your desktop. I like to use a site called Epubbooks. Download the book to a spot that’s easy to locate.
2. Launch iTunes and select Add to Library… from the File menu.
3. Select the eBook you downloaded and click the Choose button.
4. Back in iTunes, select Books from the list of libraries on the left. Your book is now listed as part of your library, you’re halfway there.
5. Now, connect your iPad to the computer and select it from the list of devices on the left.
6. Click to select the Books tab.
7. Check the Sync Books checkbox if it isn’t already enabled. If All books is selected then all your Books will be transferred to the iPad. If Selected books is selected then you will need to look below for the newly added Book and check the checkbox next to its title. Now click the Apply or Sync button at the bottom right of the window.
You may receive a warning that this will erase all the books on your iPad if this is your first iBooks sync. Click the Sync Books button.
8. Once the sync has completed you can open iBooks on your iPad to read your newly transferred title.
*Note: If you do not have iBooks on your iPad you can download it free from the App Store.