With the holiday season approaching, many smartphone users are going to be forced to spend time in areas which don’t have a plug point or powered USB port.
Whether it’s the family dinner table, your camping holiday in the bush, or the oh-so-fun “let’s sit in the lounge and just talk to each other”, whipping out a powerbank and USB cable is not acceptable.
Below are some tips on how to charge your iPhone quicker and ensure your phone stays alive for longer on a single charge, because no one wants a flat phone during family reunions.
How to charge your iPhone faster
If you are pressed for time, there are two easy steps you can take to charge your iPhone faster:
- Turn on Airplane Mode – Turning on Airplane Mode turns off the phone’s cellular, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth features, meaning the device consumes less power and will charge faster.
- Use an iPad power adapter – Using a 12W or 10W USB power adapter to charge your iPhone will speed up its charge time compared to using the 5W adapter usually shipped with the iPhone.
How to make your iPhone battery last longer
Once your device is charged, here’s how to make its battery last longer:
- Turn off background app refresh – Turning this off prevents apps from updating in the background. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh.
- Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth – Swipe up from the bottom of your home screen and tap the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth icons. Remember to turn Wi-Fi back on when you do not want to use cellular data.
- Lower screen brightness – Swipe up from the bottom of your home screen and adjust the brightness slider down. Also go to Settings > Display and Brightness and make sure Auto Brightness is set on.
- Turn off parallax – By default, the iPhone enables seamless scrolling, which consumes power. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion and turn on the setting to reduce power consumption.
- Turn on low power mode – iPhones also have a low power mode, which saves energy. Go to Settings > Battery > Low Power Mode to enable it.